Saturday, 28 August 2010

Read Comics in Public Day

I ♥ Prestonpans.  I especially ♥ it's proximity to Edinburgh.  It takes 15 minutes to reach the capital on the train - and the kids go free.  We nip into Edinburgh just for the heck of it with no particular plan, sometimes just to renew Nigel's season ticket .  Sometimes just get some groceries from M&S in the station and pop back. 


Today we went to take part in Read Comics in Public Day.  The concept is simple: show that you believe comics to be a legitimate and vibrant art form and take time out (on Jack Kirby's birthday) to proudly read some sequential art in full view of other people.

We took the train to Edinburgh (reading our comics of course).  We had no particular plans so we posed with our comics at the busiest spot we could find - the hell that is the St James Centre.  I hadn't been there for decades.  I was never a fan and, after a shift in The Small World Shop selling beautiful hand crafted items I wasn't in the mood for worshipping at the altar of consumerist tat. 

We returned home and had bagels with cream cheese and my homemade morello plum jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!