Saturday, 11 September 2010

Festivals, Fun, Fair Trade, Films

Friday

May the auspicious occasion of Eid , bless you with peace and bring joy to your heart and home

My scythe has arrived! I opted for a traditional, low tech, non-electrical way of cutting the long grass and so far I'm pleased with it.  It's hard work but I could do with burning off a few million calories - and  it will come in handy at Halloween.
http://www.iasp.info/wspd/

Saturday

The Open Day at the Small World shop was fun with lots of familiar faces including Bernice, Charlotte, Pauline and Susan.  It was lovely to see Emma and Tabitha with whom I traded camels for apples.  I love the barter system! 

While I was at the shop, the girls decorated milk bottle elephants which became a centrepiece for our Ganesh Chaturthi feast of tarkha dhal, chana dhal, apricot pilau, mushroom pakora and roti.

This evening we to Prestongrange Museum for a 'Lights Out, Doors Open' event which included crafts, a glow-in-the-dark trail and a torchlight tour of the Beam Engine.  It was a lovely evening and the walk home through the pitch black woods was extraordinarily spooky - and we saw a shooting star!

(The next event at the the museum is the Family Multi-Cultural Day on Sunday 10th October which includes Bollywood dancers, Egyptian bellydancing, classical Indian dance, an African women's choir, Chinese performers and East Lothian's Sangstream Choir.)

Back home, Nigel and I watched the atmospheric Birth.

1 comment:

  1. How good is this Glob?
    I'm worried about the scythe though
    - next time I see you, you'll be a foot shorter than the last time!

    Keep up the good work!
    J.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!