Wednesday, 8 September 2010

New, Old, Recycled

Musselburgh's North High Street is great for a spot of indie shopping.  Retailers include a butchers, chocolatiers, florists,  stationers, wine merchants, the lovely Lily & Grace gift shop - and now Frugal Cool.  It's easy to find the 'Emporium of Sustainability & Design' at 147 North High Street, Musselburgh - it's the pretty shop with bunting. It opened today and I went along to have a wee look.

It is a showcase for environmentally-friendly products with an emphasis on the three 'REs': REcycled, REpurposed and REmade. 

I ♥ these cardboard shelves!










I bought two beautiful textile brooches, a clever little sewing kit disguised as a Ration Book and some lavender in a can.  The purchase I was most pleased with was a set of reusable bread bags.


We bake bread most days (after discovering the One Minute Ciabatta recipe), and how to store it is a conundrum.  These bags are exactly what I've been looking for (and, if like me you give loaves as presents, they could double as a gift bag).

Nicky kindly gave me a copy of Cloth Magazine - I've not seen it before and was very impressed with the easy-to-follow advice on sewing and sewing machine techniques.

Sign up to ReMade: Frugal Cool's fortnightly update on local sustainability and design.  I did and I've learned about all sorts of local happenings that might otherwise have passed me by.

After saying goodbye to Nicky I bought some Wawel chocolate from the Polish shop, had a quick look round the Debra charity shop (purchases=one sparkly pink party dress - £2.70 and a Cath Kidston mug - £1) and then went to the Fisherrow Centre.

I have renewed my membership at Borders Scrapstore for a further 3 years.  It's a great resource which is always looking for paperstock, textiles and just about anything that could be used for arts and crafts.  I bought some fabric in lovely autumnal colours, some paint and other bits and bobs.


Back in Prestonpans, former volunteers of the Small World were invited to come along today for tea and cake.  It was lovely to meet them and hear about the changes in the shop since their time working there.


It is Be Bothered Week - my act of botheredness was to send my ink cartridges back to InkNToner to raise £ for Caring or Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!