Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Urban Myths and National Treasures

The other morning I received one of those alarmist emails that had been forwarded a gazillion times and was headed "FW: READ IMMEDIATELY AND INFORM ALL - Not a joke".

The gist of it was: if you receive a scary email from XYZ, delete it at once because it will kill your computer, make you go blind, steal your identity etc etc.  I deleted it and thought no more about it until...


...I received an email from Miriam Margolyes (not a personal friend but who had presumably been one of the many recipients of the email) announcing sternly that
THIS IS A HOAX AS IS ANY EMIAL SUGGESTING YOU CONTACT ALL YOUR FRIENDS.
IGNORE & CHECK WITH www.snopes.com  IN FUTURE.

Love, Miriam Margolyes
now in Sheffield rehearsing ME & MY GIRL if anyone wants to come & see
a delightful musical.  NO I DON’T SING!

This morning I received another round robin entitled 'Retirement'.  It has been sent to 195 people and related the delightful, but completely mythical, story of a man posing as a car park attendant at Bristol Zoo who collected unauthorised parking fees from zoo visitors for 25 years before absconding to Spain to live in luxury on the proceeds of his illegal activities. 

It's a great story, perhaps I should forward it to my new cyber friend Miriam...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!