Wednesday, 15 December 2010

A frugal and cool day in Musselburgh

This morning I took a long overdue trip to Musselburgh.


The charity shops have lots of beautiful party outfits on display but I needed some everyday garb so I bought myself some East trousers (that I reckon would have been about £70 new) and a Per Una jumper in the Salvation Army shop. 

I went into the Hearing Dogs for the Deaf shop where they have a 'fill a bag of children's books, clothes and toys for £1' offer.  I filled a bag with an assortment of books and the game Uno. 

There were some lovely old books and one of them contained vintage scraps - what a find!  While there, I bought several little heart-shaped tins.  I'm not sure what I will do with them but they were sweet. 

My other purchase was a copy of Green Parent magazine.  What a fabby publication!  The issue included great articles (the woodland special included bushcraft and outdoor classrooms).  It was packed with useful information.  Also, the advertising was far more relevant to our lifestyle than other magazines and included beautiful and funky kids clothes for ethical retailers - a far cry from the awful M&Co with its horribly precocious outfits. 


Many shoppers don't venture across the bridge.  Big mistake.  As I've said in globs passim, Musselburgh's North High Street is a cool pocket of indie shops which includes ReMade - a collective of ethical designers and creators.  I bought a couple of PostCardens - mini living postable gardens!  You couldn't buy that on the other side of the bridge!

No trip to the Honest Toun is complete without a visit to the Borders Scrapstore in the Fisherrow Centre.  Today's star purchases included Christmas decos for 30p (I think they were may have been 'rejects'), some very long woollen socks (possibly samples or seconds) for £3 and of course some craft bits and bobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!